Tuesday, April 6, 2010

does happy win?

Does it pay to be happy at work? If you listen to the “experts” it definitely does, but then I think sometimes it also pays to feel pressure or stress. In fact, sometimes my best work comes from “feeling the heat” because I’ve procrastinated (gasp – yes, I’ll admit it happens). I definitely would NOT describe myself as “happy” when I’m working under pressure. In fact, sometimes I’m furiously frustrated that I’m in the position of working late on a project that I wish I already had completed.

If everything at the office was just as I would dream it to be, well . . . . I would make trivial adjustments which would render grocery shopping or preparing lunches before coming to work unnecessary and I would build in extra time for “bonding” with my team and (heck – while I’m at it) a bunch of others here at the office. I would have an onsite Starbucks (no, sadly with all of the luxuries we have – this is currently not one of them) - if for no other reason than to have the Starbucks cup in hand during my next meeting (you’ll notice it’s a great accessory if you watch any trendy movie with a lot of office scenes, plus it could knock the overly air-conditioned frostbite from my fingertips)! I would devote more time off to everyone and yet not feel the pain of trying to figure out how to manage the usual workload with a short staff when someone is on vacation. Did I mention that my adjustments would be trivial? I’m extremely happy at work. So much so that I have a hard time leaving on time (but, that’s a different stress!).

Here are two reasons why I think it DOES pay off to be a happy employee:
1 - Happy employees are more fun to be around. They seem to have their eyes and ears open and gosh-darn-it - people just like happy people more than Negative Nancy (or Sarcastic Sally). Happy comes off as if you’re engaged and interested in positive progression. Negative exudes fear, complacency, apathy, and boredom. Just think back - how often were you inspired by someone because of their negative vibes? Meanwhile, the happy-go-lucky (sometimes goofy) cube neighbor actually made coming to work more FUN.

2 - When you are a happy employee, you control your future. You’re happy because you’ve realized that it’s your efforts that will determine your success. I heard a speaker once (back when I had just graduated from college and was TOTALLY not sure what I would do for a living) who said: “If the work is good, the money will come.” So - by focusing on making my work something that I’m proud of gave me a sense of comfort knowing that I was putting my best effort forward. When your boss is in a bad mood (whether it’s personal or work-related mood moments), it is a huge comfort to know that you are not determined by how/what that boss feels. You determine your own path with your own efforts. Believe me, people notice and take care of the talent. Happy is beneficial to you because you’re working to better yourself and this attitude makes a BIG BIG (okay - HUGE) difference in how far you will go.

By the way, when i mention happy - I mean genuinely happy. The fakers stand out and just triple the negative energy (posers!). You’ve GOT to like what you do. If you don’t - change as soon as possible. Life is too short to not enjoy what you do every day. If you are in a miserable gig - learn what you can from it (try to make the very best experience), reward yourself with the much earned vacation and little items (cute shoes!) that make your environment more comfortable and engaging and then - if you just can NOT break out of the miserable mindset - do you and your boss (and probably your office mates) a  favor and get out!

Don’t worry be (well, you know) . . . . it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment