Thursday, May 20, 2010

don't call it a diary


I take notes and I’m particular about how I take them. 
I have a certain type of notebook that I use to keep pretty much all of my work notes together in. This notebook goes with me to each meeting, presentation and brainstorm that I attend. I sketch in this notebook to help me develop concepts for projects or to help me explain what I’m thinking to others in a meeting. If I’m in a meeting about one topic, but someone brings up a former meeting or different discussion), I would expect to be able to find my notes from that meeting.
I use tabs marked with subjects to help me find just the specific topic that I’m looking for. These tabs might be for important meetings, projects or planning notes for an upcoming fiscal quarter. These help me find what I’m looking for quickly.
It’s spiral bound. No loose sheets to easily lose, leave behind in a different subject folder or get crinkled (neatness is key).
I give each new section of notes a date and topic label - so I can quickly remember what and when certain ideas were discussed or thought of.
I write in pencil (and carry an eraser). I can keep my thoughts as neat and organized as possible with this pencil AND my newest trick is to highlight SUPER important stuff. I LOVE going back over notes with a highlighter (I use pink and green colors!) to help things stand out amongst all of the gray pencil. But I only use the highlighter sparingly. 
Yes, I have been known to pass time in a meeting doodling (no doubt). But, don’t call it a diary. I don’t write personal feelings down in it. It’s completely boring and senseless to a stranger. But to me, this system is priceless!
How do you keep your thoughts organized?

No comments:

Post a Comment