Wednesday, March 3, 2010

alive and focused

The best way to begin a workday feeling alive and focused (for me) is a morning workout. Nothing makes me feel more awake and ready for work than a great early workout beforehand (not even staying up late and getting a lot of homework done!). My morning workouts are really tough (think Last Chance Workout from Biggest Loser tough) and so - once they are over - any challenges that I might face that day at the office seem pretty manageable. Oh - and if I start to feel sore during the day of my intense workout, I'm super happy because this means that my workout did my body some good. Great overall feeling. Better day at work.

The very idea of an evening workout has the opposite effect on me. I've taken evening classes (fun workouts), but when I do - I tend to get cranky as the day gets closer to the end, I'm more tired and I start to feel a huge pressure to leave "on time" so that I can make the class time. Focus on my work at work isn't nearly as good - as I'm generally preoccupied with what needs to be completed so that I can get to my evening workout.

I know several people who have the exact opposite reaction - they hate getting up early (especially for a workout) and absolutely LOVE the afternoon/early evening time. In the long run, it's a case of different strokes for different folks. What really matters is that exercise is a consistent element to the work week. Great for stress relief and overall improved health.

No comments:

Post a Comment