Tuesday, March 16, 2010

home away from home

If you work all day, every day in the same office - the things you choose to have around you are very important. For instance, there might be a picture of your family that acts as a reminder of who you are supporting with your career. You might also have a certain piece of art that makes you smile because it was something your child made just for you to take to work. Maybe there is a memento from your last amazing vacation. Whatever the object(s), the idea is to ensure that you feel comfortable and productive. Also, you can learn more about the people you work with by noticing their unique workspace items. Everyone has different comfort objects.

Crafting the most inspiring and productive work environment is an evolution. Things that were once near and dear to me (little pebbles that I picked up while visiting an island far away) have found a new home, which is not in my office. But lately, I’ve been intrigued by finding inexpensive fine china pieces to house daily objects. Also, people who walk into my workspace think that I cross stitch. I do not have that skill, but I enjoy being around art that has a strong, cozy pop of color for an otherwise very corporate environment.

Just take note of your surroundings. If the most personal touch your workspace has is a post-it note pad, you might consider what can be added to your work “home” to make it an inviting, inspiring and productive environment. And no, a cup of Starbucks does not count.

No comments:

Post a Comment