Tuesday, March 16, 2010

put it down - if you dare

Is it a bad thing when you bounce from computer screen to phone screen all day long? These phones that do everything - check emails on multiple accounts, text, keep various  calendars in order, have super cool to do lists, keep track of all expenses, etc, etc, have become an essential work tool for most of us. I don't recall telling folks 10 years ago to text or email me with important questions because I'll be in a meeting, but now I do. (Texts are more commonly used - not sure why. Maybe I respond quicker to texts.)

Some people have a really difficult time being able to put their phone (read: lifeline) down. I had a friend of a friend that I went to a college football game with and the entire time was spent with me watching the game and her tapping on her phone. Who she was texting the entire time (on a Saturday instead of cheering for our football team)? Her co-workers. Not outside office friends - but her nearest and dearest fellow comrades from her office. By the end of the game, her battery was almost dead - which should give a good indication for how much she was just tapping and sending away. On a Saturday. During a college football game. Our team won anyway (woo hoo!).

That day taught me a lesson. I periodically check my phone (okay, pretty frequently) especially during the workday. However, during the weekends, I try to connect with the friends and family that I don't work with all day every day. I try to enjoy my life outside of the office as much as possible and keep the office chatter (and stress) on the low end. Occasionally, I might see an email that needs a quick response or think of something too funny that I know I'll forget about during the weekend - so I'll send a text to work friends, but for the most part I really try to put the phone down. Sunday evenings are usually the one time when I'll cheat a little and scroll through the office side of my email accounts. I feel like that's pretty beneficial for getting a jump on the upcoming Monday morning. I'll admit, it's hard not to look all the time - just to be "in the know" or "on top of things," but it's worth it to focus on the people in your life who just want to see and catch up with you.

BTW, I think there are exceptions to this idea - for instance, if you own your company, work in sales, are a doctor or minister - for those professionals, I more understand the constant need to be connected. On the other hand, if you are a cog in a big company wheel, you can most likely check a couple of times (at most) throughout the weekend and live your happy life without having to feel chained to your desk/phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment